Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a cactus sticker in her pad. I can see a spot but…

Customer Question
My dog has a cactus...
My dog has a cactus sticker in her pad. I can see a spot but it's not out far enough to get with tweezers. Any suggestions on getting it out?
Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 19 days ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Good morning and welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to help.I am sorry to hear about your guy but this is fairly common. The best thing t try is to apply ice to the pad to anesthetize it so that you can push in as hard as possible to remove the cactus spine. This will also decrease the swelling and make it easier to remove this. If it is too difficult, then your vet may need to cut down on the area to remove this spine. If left there, it will abscess and cause a terrible infection until it is removed. After is is removed, apply hot packs daily an$ Neosporin to decrease the possibility of infection.Does that make sense to you?Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am always happy to help.
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian