Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I recently rescued a dog/ 5 lb poodle mix / he was neutered…

Customer Question
I recently rescued a...

I recently rescued a dog/ 5 lb poodle mix / he was neutered 8 days ago. He keeps licking the cone. Why is he licking and how long does the cone need to stay on.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He is doing everything normal but keeps licking the cone from being neutered 8 days ago. He is a 5lb poodle mix. I just got him 3 days ago. He was neutered before I got him. Why does a dog lick so much and how long does a cone need to stay on?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

He does not seem to hurt / He seems to have very normal behavior/

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Olley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Olley?

No/ He is an adorable male 3 years old/ My main question is , how long does a cone need to stay on after neutering? The cone is making him nervous / that along with being in a new home

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 21 days ago
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Sarah, a veterinarian with over 10 years experience and am here to help! I am reviewing your question and will be back with a reply.

Silly Olley! I obviously can't say for sure, but I'd guess it's referred licking...meaning he wants to lick the wound but can't, so he's licking whatever he can. That or it tastes good! Regardless I wouldn't be too concerned...it won't hurt him.

Does his incision look ok?

The cone generally has to stay on for 10-14 days. You can take it off when you are right there with him and can watch...especially if he has issues eating with it on. It needs to go back on when you leave the house or overnight.

Let me know if this answers your question or if I can help in any other way! Kindly consider rating my answer 5 stars; you can always follow up with questions and updates after rating.

Dog Veterinarian: DrSarah, Veterinarian replied 19 days ago

How's Olley doing?

DrSarah
DrSarah
DrSarah, Veterinarian