I am so sorry that Tiny is having such discomfort. When I have a dog doing a lot of licking of the vulva, swelling, and or scooting the concerns are going to be:
- Vulvitis/ vaginitis or inflammation/ infection of the vulva which can be due to vulvar fold pyoderma (an inverted vulva) or a result of her recent spay surgery exposing her to risk of infection. Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/vaginitis-in-dogs
- A urinary tract infection
- Crystals in the urine which can be related to a urinary tract infection or completely separate. The best way to describe this sensation for her is that it is like having insulation that irritates the skin on the hair of the vulva! It is quite uncomfortable, like shards of glass on the area that is very uncomfortable. I have dogs that scoot on the ground while others will do quite a bit of licking.
My first inclination is to do a urinalysis on her to rule out crystals or an infection, especially this recent from surgery. First morning sample, fresh or refrigerated but also want it read as soon as possible because a sample sitting for a while that is very alkaline can falsely create crystal formation. Second, doing a vaginal or vulvar swab for bacteria, white cells, or abnormal epithelial cells would be my next step
I would try increasing her water intake for now. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or salt free broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder.
- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to provide relief but may sedate mildly
- Moist towel in the freezer then applied to the area to soothe and numb
I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I am online another 20 minutes tonight
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!