Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Her vagina is very red and swollen. I know she is not in

Customer Question

Her vagina is very red and swollen. I know she is not in heat because she was just fixed. She is constantly scooting and licking. Is there anything over the counter that I can give her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tiny. She is 1 year and 3 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiny?
Customer: She was just spayed 3 weeks ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 7 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry that Tiny is having such discomfort. When I have a dog doing a lot of licking of the vulva, swelling, and or scooting the concerns are going to be:
- Vulvitis/ vaginitis or inflammation/ infection of the vulva which can be due to vulvar fold pyoderma (an inverted vulva) or a result of her recent spay surgery exposing her to risk of infection. Here is more information on this condition: http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/vaginitis-in-dogs
- A urinary tract infection
- Crystals in the urine which can be related to a urinary tract infection or completely separate. The best way to describe this sensation for her is that it is like having insulation that irritates the skin on the hair of the vulva! It is quite uncomfortable, like shards of glass on the area that is very uncomfortable. I have dogs that scoot on the ground while others will do quite a bit of licking.

My first inclination is to do a urinalysis on her to rule out crystals or an infection, especially this recent from surgery. First morning sample, fresh or refrigerated but also want it read as soon as possible because a sample sitting for a while that is very alkaline can falsely create crystal formation. Second, doing a vaginal or vulvar swab for bacteria, white cells, or abnormal epithelial cells would be my next step

I would try increasing her water intake for now. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or salt free broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder.

Also:

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to provide relief but may sedate mildly

- Moist towel in the freezer then applied to the area to soothe and numb

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I am online another 20 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both before I sign off for the evening

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your Tiny to see how she is feeling today and if my suggestions were able to get her comfortable last night? I look forward to an update

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!