Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe she has a uterine infection. Took her to vet

Customer Question
I believe she has...

I believe she has a uterine infection. Took her to vet yesterday morning. He gave her antibiotic injections. She had trouble walking at lunch time today. I got home a few minutes ago and she can't stand for any length of time. Is very swollen in her pelvic region. I can't get my vet to return my call. I gave her an antibiotic pill at lunch time. Can I give her a baby aspirin? She weighs 24 lbs but normally is 21 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds. Her hips are hurting I believe. It is the swelling in her uterus.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Gidget

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gidget?

Quite overweight for a Chihuahua Yorkie mix.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Is there any vaginal discharge or just a very swollen abdomen?

When was she last in heat?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
a couple of weeks ago. She has had some bloody discharge. She could barely walk at lunch and now can stand only momentarily. I gave her an antibiotic at lunch time. She has not drank or peed since lunchtime says my husband who has been with her all day. Can I give her aspirin? She has to be in pain.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I had rather not call.

Yes you can give Aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound twice daily with food

Are you able to take her in to the veterinarian?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Her regular vet is not answering his phone, is after hours. Should I try to find another one? I don't want to wait too long. He will not be open until 7:30 in the morning.

Yes absolutely

Give her the aspirin now and lets find a different clinic to get her to tonight

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She is not whimpering or anything. What do you think might be happening with her since the antibiotics haven't helped much?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I can give her two baby aspirin - 81 mg each?

If there is no discharge then all of the bad stuff is building up in her uterus and making her very sick

This is a very serious illness and she needs to have her uterus dealt with

I would give2 1/2 baby aspirin now

Please keep me updated on things tonight

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian