Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My little dog was fine yesterday. Today she has strained all…

Customer Question
My little dog was...

My little dog was fine yesterday. Today she has strained all day and hasn't been able to poop. We called the vet and gave her milk of magnesia, no poop still. Now she is vomiting, a lot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Chloe, 11 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chloe?

11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

She obviously does not feel good, lethargic, not like her at all. And she shakes from time to time.

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 25 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Chloe is not feeling well. Has she urinated? Is she eating?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Honestly, I haven't paid much attention to her urinating. I was too worried about the other, so I don't know. She is a stress eater, so when we gave her milk of magnesia, which she did not appreciate, she ate 2 pieces of duck jerky, but has vomited it all up, and more.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I don't want a phone call.

Has she had any lab work done at the vet's recently?

No problem, the system offers the phone call automatically. We can continue talking here.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Last month we had their annual exams, vaccines, and senior blood panel.

Okay, and everything was normal?

That's good. If she is very constipated, it could be causing nausea and that's why she might be vomiting. Have you tried giving her any canned pumpkin for the constipation?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
We tried, but she wouldn't eat it. She is very picky. But I gave her Colace this morning and milk of magnesia this afternoon.

How do her gums feel? Are they dry? Constipation can be due to dehydration. If she's vomiting a lot, she could be getting dehydrated that way.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
She has had an ongoing problem with her rectum. It is very enlarged right now, she licks it constantly. We clean her with Tucks pads when she poops, because baby wipes hurt her. She has been through many medications, some would work for a while, many, many treatments. Her vet felt something in her rectum, so took a sample and had it biopsied, but it was benign. However, at this time her rectum is very enlarged and inflamed.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
She is vomiting so much, I know if she isn't dehydrated right now, she soon will be. Her gums are not dry, but she has been vomiting. Her skin turgor does not snap back.

I would get her to the vet for anti-nausea medication. They will also probably recommend treating her with IV fluids to rehydrate her and might recommend repeating some lab work, as well.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Do you recommend doing that tonight?

Since she has been sick since yesterday, yes, I would get her to the vet as soon as possible.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 22 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Rachel
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Not well. My little girl was diagnosed with pancreatitis and renal failure. She was kept in the hospital for 24 hours to have IV fluids. Blood sample was taken afterwards and the results came in today. Her numbers showed a slight improvement, but not much. According to her numbers she has lost 80% to 90% kidney function. She is on k/d prescription diet, which she won't eat. She won't eat at all. She is drinking and urinating. Today we began subcutaneous fluid treatments at home. I pureed her food and forced her to consume some, with a syringe. She is lethargic, but still gets excited at the same things that always excited her. I am devastated. She is my child.
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian