Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a snitch that is 7 years old he is my service dog…

Customer Question
I have a snitch...

I have a snitch that is 7 years old he is my service dog never had any health problems but for a week now he shakes won t jump up or down her won t eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Cruz he is 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Cruz?

7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cruz?

He is a indoors dog

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 24 days ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Cruz is shaking and will not eat or jump up or down from furniture. Is that a correct summary of the situation?

I am sorry to hear about what is happening. Generalized shaking is most often attributed to either anxiety or pain. Most likely it is caused by pain in this situation. The fact that he is not willing to jump up or down and does not want to eat supports this notion that he is not feeling comfortable. The next step is to try to determine where the pain is coming from. The most likely sources in dogs is either from the abdomen (i.e. nausea) or from the spine or muscle. This is where careful palpation of the spine and legs will be helpful. Are you able to determine where he might be painful?

If you are unsure where the pain is coming from then the best plan is to take him to a veterinarian for a thorough examination. Another idea is that you can treat for nausea with an over-the-counter medication and a low fat food and see if that improves Cruz's condition. Pepcid is one such medication that can be given and a low fat food can be boiled chicken and / or white rice.

Does that help to answer your question?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian