Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy has had diarrhea all day today and I’m starting to…

Customer Question
My puppy has had...

My puppy has had diarrhea all day today and I’m starting to get concerned he is still happy and playful I know you aren’t supposed to give them table food but I just gave him a bit of cheese to hopefully not make it as runny.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your puppy?

He is a few days past due on his heartworm med money is tight right now... and still hasn’t had his last set of shots. I gave him a peice of bacon fat last night and a peice of fat off a pork chop, I thought maybe the seasoning on the meat. I had a touch of the problem this morning myself however mine is gone. I also gave him a small bit or two of cheese a few minutes ago to help maybe not be so watery like.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your questions about your pup's diarrhea. I'm sorry you're going through this, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

To start with, I want to let you know the tiny bits of cheese are not likely to cause any harm or make the situation worse.

You're also correct with your suspicions that the bits of fat may be likely causes for the diarrhea. Rich and fatty foods, even in tiny amounts are best avoided.

Typically, when a young and otherwise healthy puppy gets diarrhea from eating something unusual, you can manage the problem at home without a trip to the vet. Seek medical care sooner rather than later, though, if the diarrhea is severe, bloody, or is accompanied by lethargy, vomiting, and appetite loss.

Most of the time, the diarrhea will pass if you withhold food for 24 hours, then resume feeding with tiny meals and gradually ease your way back to larger meals. Using a bland diet of 50/50 boiled chicken and rice can also be helpful.

Adding a good canine probiotic to the food can also help. Proviable, Synacore, and Forti-flora are examples of these types of products that are readily available over the counter.

If the vomiting continues after you try the things I listed above, then you know you'll have to go to the vet.

You can click this link to read in even more detail about the steps you can take to manage diarrhea at home, as well as pointers on what to watch for:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/home-care-for-the-dog-with-diarrhea/

I do hope this information is helpful to you. Please reply if you have additional questions or concerns. If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you for using our website.

Just checking in to ask how your puppy is doing.

Thank you,

Dr. Jo