Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have been in a conversation with you just recently My 12…

Customer Question
Hi Dr Thompson I have been...
Hi Dr Thompson
I have been in a conversation with you just recently
My 12 week old bull terrier puppy
We have already tried the " tree " Our puppy just starts biting our calves and legs instead. And with the same force.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/30/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Thompson
Dr. Thompson, Veterinarian

Hello again! Sounds like a frustrating situation and I'm sorry you're having this trouble. Bully breeds can be very stubborn and Bull Terriers, in particular, seem to engage in persistent behaviors despite their owner's best efforts to change them.

How much obedience training have you done with Ricki? You need to be careful not to be to controlling, but instituting a "nothing in life is free" program with her is what I recommend. This means that you are using rewards (treats, pats, verbal praise or play with toys) after she performs a behavior you request. You ask her to sit before giving her breakfast, ask her to lie down before you let her out the door. Sit before you touch her.

This will require that she be extremely good at sitting on command. Work with her at 15 minutes twice a day on nothing but sit on command. End the session before she starts to lose interest, trying to end on a successful sit. You may need to start with just 2 minutes of training and work your way up. Once she has the sit command at 100% response, you should be able to use this to help with the biting.

Please make sure you've covered the basics with her, too: a couple of 15-20 minute walks each day, plenty of her own toys that are ok to chew on, don't leave her in a dog crate alone for more than 3 hours at a time... Make sure everyone in your home is on board with "nothing in life is free," too. She must have a consistent message or she will get confused.

As a short-term control measure, if she is being unruly and the discussed methods are not working, it's ok to have her go into a crate "time out" for 10 minutes. Just be careful not to convey that you're angry at her, try to be neutral when you place her in the crate or you could create new problems.

What questions do you still have?

Do you know about Victoria Stilwell? She's another trainer I recommend you follow for good positive puppy training tips. She also has a web site and here's one article you might like: https://positively.com/contributors/ouch-my-puppy-is-biting-me-the-importance-of-attending-puppy-class-to-teach-bite-inhibition-and-play-skills/

You might search on her site for a dog trainer near you to help with your pup :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ricki. How is everything going?

Dr. Thompson