Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I think my dod has eaten its leash. THere are two labradors…

Customer Question
I think my dod...

I think my dod has eaten its leash

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

THere are two labradors Ella (3) and Coco (10) and I don't know which has eaten it only that it has been chewed and eaten by one of them this happened in the last half hour i have just fed them both dinner and they have eaten it

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

I dont think so

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Do you have an idea how much of the leash is missing? What type of leash is it? How are they acting now?

Its quite a think leash made of synthetic fibres. They have eaten the whole think apart from the loop to hold it and the hook to attach it to collar so at least three feet

3 feet of leash material is a lot of non-digestible material. If this was eaten in the last 1/2 hour, then inducing vomiting would seem reasonable to try and get out as much of it as possible. Not knowing which one ate it, that usually means picking one and making that one vomit. If the leash is in that vomit, then the situation would seem over. If it isn't, then making the other vomit to see if it comes up from that one. If neither brings it up, then is it just not able to be vomited up or is it somewhere else?

Ok, how do I make a dog vomit?

Here is a great link that explains how to do it with 3% hydrogen peroxide.

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/

One of them has definitely eaten it but they are both acting fine. On the way home from the beach I left their leads on them while they were in the back of the car. It was a 15 min journey and on letting them out of the car I noticed one of their leads was chewed off and is nowhere to be found. I didnt hear anything strange while driving home though so I'm so confused about how they did this. IS there a way without hyydrogen peroxide? I don't have any of that and I am in Ireland where shops are now closed

There really isn't a good safe way to induce vomiting at home other than through the use of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Options are to go and get some or get to your vet so they can give an IV injection to get it done.

Reading online about giving them oatmeal. Would this help?

In all honesty, regular feeding of their regular food will add enough bulk to the ingesta to try and help things move through. I don't like to change the diet as that can cause in some cases vomiting. Vomiting is the big clinical sign to watch for to indicate a possible blockage. If there is no vomiting and they are eating well and acting well, could the material be passing through the intestinal tract and going to be defecated out? That is the hope.

Ok thanks for your help. They are both acting completely normal, happily chewing on their toys and lapped up their dinner. No sign of the incident apart from the missing lead. Is this a good sign?

That would be what is hoped for! Them acting completely normal. As long as that is happening, then it doesn't seem to be an issue. IF vomiting happens, then it is a potential problem.

Ok I will look out for vomitting then. Thank you. IF that does occur what should I do? I won't be able to get to a vet unitl the morning which is in 12 hours time.

If the vomiting starts up, more than likely getting to your vet first thing tomorrow is going to be ok. With foreign body ingestion cases, waiting many, many days after vomiting starts is when the more critical issues arise. Hopefully they both continue to eat well, not having any vomiting, and here in a couple days the material starts to show in the stools!