Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I believe my Wheaten Terrrier may have swallowed a squeaker…

Customer Question
I believe my Wheaten...

I believe my Wheaten Terrrier may have swallowed a squeaker from one of her toys. What do I watch for. Will she pass it? She seems to be going to the bathroom fine but she just threw up some undigested food from this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Jorja, she is 7 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Jorja?

7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jorja?

She did eat and deravel a looped rug as a puppy and had to have surgery as it wrapped around her intestines

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Jorja. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience.

Deb

In most cases, the squeakers from toys will pass through the gi system with no issues; there's a slight risk that it might cause an obstruction but it's not a high one. Transit time tends to be about 12-24 hours although if the squeaker remains in the stomach for a while (which sometimes happens), it might take longer than this. Feeding additional fiber such as whole wheat bread and increased activity/exercise can help to move things along.

If it's been less than two hours since she ate the squeaker, then you could induce vomiting to retrieve it if you wanted so that you wouldn't need to worry about an obstruction. 3% fresh hydrogen peroxide (it should bubble and fizzle) can be given at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight mixed with bread or yogurt (or something similar). Walk her around and repeat the dose one time in 15 minutes if she hasn't vomited.

Not all dogs will vomit when peroxide is given but most will.

While I feel that the risk of an obstruction isn't high, you'll want to monitor for signs of vomiting, disinterest in food, lethargy and/or abdominal pain....although I suspect you're very familiar with them since she was obstructed as a puppy.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian