Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have 2 large dogs one was coughing so I consulted a vet…

Customer Question
I have 2 large...

I have 2 large dogs one was coughing so I consulted a vet with you and have been giving her Robitussen DM but now the other one is coughing and I have 2 little ones, one which just overcame kidney failure after a bad abscess from an eye surgery removal and I am afraid they are going to get it! What can I do to prevent them from getting it. It is too late to separate

Veterinarian's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Veterinarian's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Just what I said with the big ones, nothing with the little ones, was trying to keep them separate from large ones

Veterinarian's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need vet not lawyer

Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Sorry, the system gets confused at times! It would be ideal to have the bigger dogs separate from the little ones until the bigger dog stops coughing. If the other large dog that is not yet coughing has been getting close to the other one, you can keep them together since the other dog has already been exposed. Also wash your hands thoroughly after petting the large dogs and going to the little ones.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
the other large one that is with the little ones just started coughing and has been with the little ones. .We keep mother and daughter (large ones) together and one large one with the 2 little ones who is the one that just started coughing this morning! We have to keep the three large ones separate to avoid fighting as they are all females! My husbands dogs. I used essential oils Eucalyptus, lavender and pine to spray area, I am afraid the little ones are going to catch it . they have been drinking out of the same water bowl as the large one. anything to boost their immune system?
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I recently just got out of the hospital and am barely back to working. I can't afford the phone call right now and just had to spend $800.00 with my little one who went into kidney failure at vets! I have to stick with this communication right now, sorry!
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I have all the large dogs on amoxicillan
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What dosage is safe to give them ?

No worries, the system automatically offers phone calls. We can continue our conversation here. Do you mean what does of amoxicillin to give the large dogs?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
What dosage is safe to give them I have 500mg. One is 60lbs, one is 46lbs and one is 54lbs
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 25 days ago

Hi, they can each have 1 tablet every 12 hours.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian