Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He broke out into a horrible skin rash, he's scratching

Customer Question
He broke out into...

He broke out into a horrible skin rash, he's scratching apart his skin, vomiting, whimpering all the time, not acting his normal self. Now he is missing. :'( he's been chasing raccoons and skunks off 2 nights PRIOR to signs showing up. He had rabies vac in Oct. Of 2017. He's a small dog. April 40ish lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Male, Aprox. 5 or 6 years old.

Submitted: 26 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 26 days ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thank you. I am leaning more towards a skunk issue

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that your guy is missing but when you find him, there are things you can do to ease his discomfort. It may be that he is missing because he is so uncomfortable or, if he is not neutered, there may be a girl dog somewhere.

When your guy returns, this may be caused by a severe allergic reaction.

From what you have told me, it appears that your dog is suffering from an allergic reaction that could be due to many things such as fleas, pollen , foods.

For now , follow these instructions:

Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
Give Benadryl at mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.
If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I've recalled on 2 nights PRIOR to the skin rash starting up, vomiting, whimpering a lot, not eating well ... I had smelt skunk outside and heard him yelp real loudly. He did not smell of skunk though .... I've heard of skunk spray causing issues in dogs. And he is fixed.

It is no unusual for skunks to cause this type of reaction including the vomiting. I am hoping that he was not bitten which could cause a bad infection and hope that he did not have a serious anaphylactic reaction to the skunk material expressed. I would suggest that you go out looking for your guy...he may be very sick and unable to return or worse. Please let me know if you find him and I am happy to help....Good luck!!

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 23 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian