Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog swallowed an ear plug about 2 hours ago. Oliver. He's…

Customer Question
My dog swallowed an...

My dog swallowed an ear plug about 2 hours ago.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Oliver. He's about 7 months. Shihtzu-poodle mix. About 10 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Oliver?

No. That's about it.

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 29 days ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question. Was this one of the compressible ear plugs made of foam?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Yeah. Just the typical ones you buy from the drugstore. They fell on the floor and our dog was sneaky.

Sorry for my delay. Had an emergency of getting the kids to school. Alright. This ingestion of that ear plug may or may not be an issue. I'm going to be honest and say that the one time I definitely have seen this similar situation, I took that dog to surgery as that ear plug started to work its way through the intestinal tract and just got stuck. It was just the right size to cause a blockage in that size of a dog - very similar weight to your Oliver. It was a shitzu around 12 pounds. If he just ate that ear plug that time frame ago, it would seem a good next step to induce vomiting to try and get it brought up that way. IF it comes up, then the situation would seem resolved. 3% hydrogen peroxide can be used at 1 teaspoon per 10# ***** orally with a little milk to try and induce vomiting. It can be repeated in 10 minutes if nothing has happened just once. Getting him to your vet can let them induce vomiting with an IV injection that is very effective. If it again comes up, then the situation would seem resolved. IF it doesn't, then it could be a wait and see situation.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian