Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 year old pug died last SAturday. I hardly ever left…

Customer Question
My 10 year old...

My 10 year old pug George died last SAturday. I hardly ever left him during his 10 years and I was so close to him. I knew what he needed and what each bark meant. I miss him so badly and I will never know what killed him. I had been gone for 3 days and he was in the care of a pet sitter. The pet sitter said he was lethargic the day he died and she said he probably died of a broken heart and missing me. This made me very upset because I know it cannot be true.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the pug. What is the pug's name?

George

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about George?

No, he died

Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I got a call while in the airport that george had died. I had no idea what happened. The pet sitter is deaf and not very good at communicating . My neighbor said he had seen George earlier and didn't seem that he was abnormal. The pet sitter said when she tried to take him out in the morning he didn't want to go. He was lethargic. Then she came a few hours later and said he just wandered from my chair to my office and she had to "wipe his tears"....(dogs dont tear). anyway, I had my neighbor take George to my vet but he was already dead. They did not tell the vet to do a necropsy so I'll never know. My vet said she was surprised to see George since George was pretty healthy.I know you probably wont have an answer for me but I just am so sad and I feel so horrible that I wasn't here and perhaps he needed something and i wasn't here to give it to him?A few years ago george had bladder stones which had to be removed. He had blood work done every 6 months and nothing showed up as abnormal. He did hve a sensitive stomach. If he got any people food at all, crumbs, droppings, etc, he would be sick for 24 hours and had the gurgles and wouldn't eat and then would finally go poop but it would come out with a lot of mucous. AFter that he would return to normal...this happened alot. Perhaps it started happening more frequently as much as twice amonth....I never knew what he might have gotten because I am so careful not to give him anything but dog food and treats.I hope you can get back to me. I'm getting the sense that this is not real since nobody has replied yet. Hope not.
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 25 days ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** the Moderator asked me to assist you since it seems all the Vets have been tied up tonight. I apologize for the wait.

I am so sorry to read about Geore's passing. It brought tears to my eyes and I know you are heart broken.

As you know i cannot tell you what happened to George but I can go over some suspicions about what could have happened.

Since he was an older dog we have to look at most obvious which would have been his heart gave out or it could have been a stroke. The reason I say these two, because they are the most common issues in an older dog and the time frame in which he passed. Since you had blood work every 6 months, I do not think it was anything brewing, so he passed quickly. His body may have just given out.

I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but unfortunately without a Necrospy that is impossible.

He was such a handsome Boy and from your description of your relationship. he had a great life and loved unconditionally.

I hope this helps. Please hit reply and we can chat and discuss your feelings.

Joan

I will be going off line for the night in a few mins. If you respond, I will get back to you as soon as I come on to address your concerns and to answer your questions.

I want to off my sincerest condolences of the loss of George. I can see he was your friend, and companion.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech