Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She’s wobbly on her feet, seems a little lethargic, just…

She’s wobbly on her...

She’s wobbly on her feet, seems a little lethargic, just peed herself, and won’t poop

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Doris, almost 4 yo

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Doris?

4 years old in May

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Doris?

We treated her ears with an antifungal medicine this morning.

3/29/2018
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here, I'm sorry to hear this. Sometimes ear infections can cause dizziness, expecially after adding mediation to the ears because it can just throw off your balance at first. Do you think this could be what you are seeing, or does it seem like something different?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hard to say. She’s had chronic ear infections so this isn’t the first time we’ve administered medicine into her ear but this is the first time she’s reacted this way after an application.

Is her head tilted to one side or the other?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Not that I’ve noticed.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Sorry, I take that back. Her head was tilting at times.

Okay thanks. My suspicion is that this time, the middle/inner ear is more inflamed than the previous times so we are seeing signs of dizziness as her equilibrium is a bit off. You can try Meclizine (generic Dramamine II) 4 mg/kg by mouth once daily. Practically, 12.5 mg – 50 mg per dog by mouth once daily. This is an over-the-counter medication that Walgreens, Walmart, Target, any place like that should have. It will likely help the symptoms while the inflammation is resolving over the next few days.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Would this explain the involuntary urination too?

Yes, it's actually pretty common for dogs to go ahead and urinate if they are dizzy.

Also you mentioned she wouldn't poop. If she's dizzy and doesn't feel confident getting herself into the appropriate "pooping-posture" she won't go.

So, while no one can say for sure exactly what's going on without looking at her, this sounds like where I would start.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
That was my guess regarding her not pooping. She looked like she wanted to go but didn’t seem like she could get into a stable posture.It does seem seem like her ear is the most likely cause. It just seems weird because it was AFTER we gave her medicine that these symptoms started.

Yes but I've seen that a lot. She was probably just at the point of being able to compensate for the inflammation that was present in the ear canal and then when we add the medication on top of it, it creates that extra sensation that is just enough to put it over the edge. It should resolve within 72 hours. If it doesn't I would have her vet look in her ears again.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Ok thanks for your help.

You're welcome! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)

Heath Wilkerson

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson
Heath Wilkerson