How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7992
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Bernese mountain dog who is 9 months old approx. 80 lbs

Customer Question

My Bernese mountain dog who is 9 months old approx. 80 lbs ate 4 bags of cadberry eggs . the bagsare 8 oz each. I left hime for 4 hours and came home to empty bags . no emesis or diarrhea but drinking a lot . Should I be concerned?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no He has been fine. He also ate a whole bag of doritos!
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your Bernese Mountain dog boy. Did he eat the plastic and foil wrapping as well? So he could have eaten them anywhere from an hour ago to 44 hours ago - is that correct?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No wrappers. They are a crunchy candy shelled milk chocolate eggs. 4 -8 oz bags.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Thanks for that - I'm replying right away and will have something with you very soon.

Dr E

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he ate them this evening approximately 3-4 hours ago
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for your patience. As you likely already know - chocolate is toxic to dogs, however it depends on the size of the dog, the amount ingested and the type of chocolate. While your boy is big at 80lbs and only ate milk chocolate, unfortunately he could have ingested up to 25 - 30 ounces of milk chocolate by the time we take the candy shell out of the equation. As such, that is definitely enough to cause a severe chocolate toxicity. Because chocolate toxicity can take 4 - 6 hours to show up as symptoms, it could well be that his real symptoms of this ingestion are yet to appear. Symptoms can include increased thirst, hyperactivity, restlessness, but also twitching, muscle spasms and even seizures. As such, you really would be best playing it safe in this instance by getting him to your local ER vet where they can give him IV fluids and activated charcoal to minimize the chances of a severe toxicity here (he has had enough chocolate for a severe toxicity).

If he currently seems fine and you would rather continue monitoring him, then you will need to keep a close eye on him for another 2 - 3 hours yet if you can. In particular, please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your boy and hopefully he will only have the symptoms of increased thirst, but keep a close eye on him. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

Hopefully that message came through? Let me know when you receive it.
Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 7 months ago.

How did you get on with your boy overnight? Was he fine or did you follow up with your local ER vet?

It would be great to get an update when you have a moment.

Dr E