Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is having problem going poop and is panting and

Customer Question
She is having problem...

She is having problem going poop and is panting and trembling

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Chloe and she is 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chloe?

No, she still eats amd drinks but u can tell she is uncomfortable

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your girl Chloe. When did these symptoms begin? Does she seem quite constipated? Is she drinking water as per normal?

I will wait to hear from you,

Dr E

It started yesterday, she will go a little but u can tell she is straining. She is drinking water as normal

Ok thanks for that. I"m replying now and will have something with you in the next 10 minutes or so.

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with your girl over the last day or two to cause these symptoms and we need to consider anything from simple constipation, to intestinal worms or even an internal organ issue. Whatever the case here with Chloe, you will definitely need to continue to keep a close eye on your girl, and if her straining and panting continue, then you will need to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight.

For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. The biggest concern right now is that she could become dehydrated. If she won't drink or starts vomiting and can't keep water down, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet tonight where they can start her on some intravenous (IV) fluids. Getting her fluids up will definitely help her pass a stool if she is constipated. If she isn't interested in drinking, then you could try making her up a fresh chicken broth. For this, just boil up some fresh chicken until cooked, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool, then feed her this luke-warm broth. You can also try her with a little cooked mashed pumpkin tonight as well if she'll eat it, as this may help to get things moving as well. If she is distressed tonight or really straining, then do play it safe and get her seen tonight if you can. Here your local vet may give her a rectally applied product (micralax) to help her relax her colon to poop, or she may even need a full enema under anesthetic depending on the cause of her straining.

Over the next few hours, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Chloe and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if she seems distressed or keeps straining, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hopefully that message came through? Let me know when your receive it.

Dr E

Thanks, ***** ***** hoping we can wait to bring her to her vet in the morning

Yes, continue to keep an eye on her, and so long as she isn't distressed and her parameters above are all ok, you can wait to see you regular vet first thing tomorrow morning.

All the best,

Dr E

Let me know if you need any further assistance, I'll be online for another half hour or so.

Dr E