Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is experience a lot of internal pain in her stomach.

Hi, my dog is...

Hi, my dog is experience a lot of internal pain in her stomach. she doesn't have serious symptoms like diarrhea or vomiting, however, she is in a lot of pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No she hasn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Princess, 13

3/29/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

What is she doing that makes you think she is sore in her stomach?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She hunches her back and walks delicately to avoid causing herself more pain. Just now she was sleeping stretched out and suddenly she curled her entire body and began to cry.

Hmmm

I am wondering if this is her stomach or whether it is her back that is sore

Especially because there is no vomiting or diarrhea

Lets try her with pain medicine tonight and see how she does

Do you have any Tylenol there?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I took her to her vet and she was prescribed pain medication and anti acid pills. All her tests ran normal including a test for pancreatitis. Her stomach makes a lot of gurgling noises lately and it seems like her pain comes in waves and is sharp.

Is she on pain meds now?

All the blood tests were normal and negative for pancreatitis

I still wonder about back

And still on the antibiotics? Why did they put her on those?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She has been on the pills since yesterday. Today i gave her some antibiotics she had left over from a previous doctor visit. Her vet prescribed those because she found nothing alarming in the tests but it was clear Princess was in a lot of pain. She prescribed the anti acid pills incase the pain was caused by acidic food affecting the lining of her belly.

Stop the antibiotics

There is no reason to give them

And they are probably what is causing the gurgling and upset bowels

What is the name of the pain pills?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She is currently taking Gabapentin 100mg and famotidine 10mg twice a day.

Okay that is fine

Continue with both of those

Thought you said you were giving antibiotics also?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i tried to start her on antibiotics today because i was afraid she had an infection that was causing her pain but i will stop giving her that and stick to the other two.

Okay thanks :)

I really hope that is all that is going on

So lets continue with Gabapentin and Famotidine and see how she is in the AM

You could also give Tylenol at 15.0 mg/kg tonight if you want to help with pain

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Do you think her symptoms are dangerous? She is on a bland food diet of boiled chicken and white rice and she doesn’t seem to have any loss of appetite. She goes to the bathroom regularly, drinks a lot of water. She’s active and looks relatively normal when she goes for walks but when she lays down she looks like she is experiencing a lot pain and discomfort. She cried and winces and random and curls up on the floor. Usually when this happens while she’s standing she’ll immediately sit down and hunch her back.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Her vet advised us to take her to an animal hospital and request an ultrasound if her symptoms do not resolve or get worse in 5 days

Yes I agree with that

If she was not improved in the AM I was going to recommend the same thing

And back x-rays to make sure the spinal column is not involved

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you. Do you have any ideas as to why she may be experiencing these pains or if there is a potentially life threatening underlying condition?

It is hard to know for sure what is going on-> And there are lots of differentials

But my impression is that this is not life threatening

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
If there are no improvements by tomorrow so i get her checked out immediately or should I wait the 5 days her vet recommended on the medications

Nope

If not better tomorrow go for the ultrasound and x-rays right away

We need to get this sorted sooner versus later

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Okay great, thank you for your help.

Very welcome

Please keep me updated on things

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for your updates

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you very much. I will submit your rating.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian