Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a bag of cooked rabbit bones what should I do. He…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a bag of cooked rabbit bones what should I do . He also ate the bag the bones where in

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

My dog ate a bag of cooked rabbit bones. He also ate the bag. He is an 11 yr old lab with severe Imflammantory bowel disorder

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He is highly allergic to food and can only eat rabbit . He also is on prednisone demermerian and urisol and omitazole

3/29/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your guy. In a situation with bone ingestion, there is a very good chance that nothing will come about from it. Dogs have been eating bones for a long, long, long time through their history. They have found squirrels, rabbits, other rodents, etc... as food when scavenging before man really took over their care. Bones can be chewed up and then sit in the stomach and digested and pass with no issues. They can cause a problem though in some cases. At this time, if he's acting comfortable, I typically have owners watching for vomiting. Vomiting would be a potential big red flag for an obstruction from the bones or from the bag. I don't like to induce vomiting with bone ingestions as the bones could get stuck in the throat and that is the worst spot for a blockage to happen.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Would it be helpful to put him on saline to help everything pass though

Typically at home, the best thing to do there is to have water available and to feed them their normal diet to keep things moving through as they should. I don't like to switch things up as that can upset the stomach and or change their eagerness to eat and act.

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Thank you

Giving them good access to plenty of water can help them to stay hydrated and to hopefully get all this material to digest and pass through. Some can have fecal impactions if a lot of the bony material builds up and makes it painful to defecate. Watch her closely over the next few days to week so she's defecating well. If she's posturing to go and not getting anything out or going over 2 days with no stools, then that would be a flag to get her seen.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
One other question he is on metronidazole 250mg due to loose stills should we continue to give him this . I was told bones could cause constipation
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Stools

Bones in excess can definitely cause constipation. That being said, that is where watching for comfort of defecation and how things are going are important. I would continue the metronidazole.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian