Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 13 year old female mastiff. She’s lost her ability…

I have a 13 year...
I have a 13 year old female mastiff. She’s lost her ability to stand on her own. Her hind legs buckle. She’s otherwise is good spirits but it’s difficult to care for her especially in the area of pottying and getting her outside for some fresh air. Suggestions on how to move her around without breaking my back? I have two sons that try and help but they aren’t always home. I don’t want to give up on her but honestly given her age and my own health issues that have caused limited finances, it’s not feasible for me to enter into any kind of long treatment plan. I just want her to live out the rest of her senior years as loved and comfortable as possible
3/29/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I understand your feelings and this is a very tough situation......

There is a harness that can be sized for your dog called a help-em up harness but honestly with this situation I really feel that the very best thing for you and your baby is to provide her with humane euthanasia.....

I do rehab and believe me if there was something that could be done for your baby I would let you know....

Your best option for you and your girl is to find a vet who is excellent at euthanasia and have them give her peace......I want to share a poem with you that guides me with my on fur babies and also my patients......Sincerely, DRB

I check my computer every night and would be happy to answer any additional questions that you have so feel free to leave your thoughts and concerns here. Sincerely, DRB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I appreciate your honesty. I’m feeling like that’s the direction I should go but I guess I’m being a little selfish... she’s VERY senior at 13 and being a large breed and I’ve enjoyed her company her whole life but I definitely don’t want her to suffer or see her health further decline. Again, thank you.

You are welcome......read the poem I sent you...it will really speak to your heart and help make your decisions easier for your girl and do let me know if you need any additional help...DRB

Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian