Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is panting, shivering and didn't eat. She was fine this…

She is panting, shivering...

She is panting, shivering and didn't eat. She was fine this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Honey, and about 10 or 11, she is a rescue dog so I'm exactly sure of age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She was out in the rain yesterday...

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/29/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

No vomiting or diarrhea?

Gums pink?

Abdominal swelling?

Paul

No vomiting or diarrhea that I know of.Her gums are pink but pale.No obvious swelling

I was worried about the gums

She is older and so I was concerned about a possible mass that is bleeding in the abdomen or damage being done to her red blood cells

This is one time where I have to recommend that you take her in to the ER

Are you able to do that?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Phone call session started

Good luck

Please keep me updated

Paul

It is a malignant mass attached to the speen. Prognosis not good even with surgery. Brought Honey back home with comfort meds. Will spoil her for a few days and euthanize when neccessary.

On what basis did they say it was malignant?

Do NOT be too negative just yet

Did they do an abdominal ultrasound?

Paul

They did, the mass is quite large.

Okay but we cant say it is malignant based on ultrasound UNLESS there is evidence of metastatic disease

I specialize in ultrasound and my wife is a board certified veterinary pathologist

Only 30% of these masses are malignant

In which case removal is curative

Was liver okay?

Did they do chest x-rays

They CANNOT say it us malignant just by looking at it

Paul

They did xrays and some blood work as well. I was told that with surgery prognosis was still 9 months or less.

They dont know what they are talking about

If it is benign or a ruptured siderotic plaque then the surgery is curative

Were the chest x-rays clear?

Paul

The lungs looked clear but the mass was large.I will take her to my regular vet tomorrow for a second, or actually third opinion.

Good

If the liver is clean and lungs are clean and there is no evidence of other spread then we remove spleen and send it for analysis

I woke up my wife to ask her about her findings and she agreed that of all the splenic masses shes sees from patients like your doggy about 30& are malignant.

Please keep me updated

Good luck tomorrow

Paul

Thank you so much for your advice and support it is greatly appreciated.

Very welcome

I hope that I am right!

Paul

Honey declined quickly. She refused food, even her favorites. I could tell it was time. I spent the last 2 nights loving her but let her go earlier today. Very difficult, especially since this appeared out of nowhere. Again I thank you for your guidance and advice.

Oh dear-> Sorry to hear that :(

Thank you for updating me

God bless

Paul