Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is not eating from her mom she is the runt of the family…

Customer Question
She is not eating...

She is not eating from her mom she is the runt of the family is it ok for me to make a formula for her using a can of pediasure fiber She is a newborn puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Faith

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Faith?

No the mom just had th liter yesterday and we can't bring her in the vet is closed

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
If it's possible can u please hurry I don't know how much time it has. I have cow replacement milk if that helps
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello?
3/29/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 3 months ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I have been practicing for the past 6+ years and can offer my help with your pet concerns. Please give me one moment to type up my response and I will be right with you.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 3 months ago

I am sorry that no one was able to get to your question in a timely manner. But I just signed in online and wanted to help.

You will have to get puppy milk replacement formula for this newborn pup. Pediasure is not going to be able to be absorbed by a newborn pup and will only cause diarrhea and fluid loss. It is equivalent to trying to give a newborn baby Pediasure instead of breast milk or baby formula.

If you don't have access to a feed store or pet store right now to purchase puppy replacement formula, you can make some alternative formula mix from everyday household items. This is not meant to be used long term, but it is ok when you are in a crunch and need to feed a newborn pup something that they can digest, even if its only a little bit. Here is a website link with the inigredients you will need to make the puppy replacement meal. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=576

I wish you all the best with this newborn puppy. However, I would caution you that if a pup is not eating well from mom, then there may be a congenital defect to blame. I would get this pup examined by your local vet if she does not turn around within the next 12-24 hrs.

Is there anything else I can assist you with tonight concerning your newborn puppy?

- Dr. H