Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My two dogs ate a small box of sugar and a bag of oatmeal.

My two dogs ate...

My two dogs ate a small box of brown sugar and a bag of oatmeal. They are both labrador retrievers. Any guidance?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Lucky is 7 and Brutus is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucky?

No she's in great health

3/29/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. You should see some vomiting and diarrhea as a result of the ingestion. The more serious concern is that the oatmeal will expand and create an obstruction in the GI tract. The signs of an obstruction are being unable to keep anything down. If there is an obstruction, they will vomit even if they drink water. A couple of episodes of vomiting and diarrhea are normal, but if after that they are still vomiting, lethargic, or not eating, I would get them to the vet for abdominal x-rays to make sure they do not have an obstruction.

Ok, thanks. They both drank a lot after I let them back in the house after cleaning up the mess. Nothing so far in terms of stomach but I'm sure they won't feel good after all of that.

You're welcome. You can give them one tablet each of 40 mg Pepcid to help with the stomach ache that is sure to follow.

If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking on 5 stars at the top of your screen. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian