Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a dog that goes after my older dog for no apparent…

I have a dog...

I have a dog that goes after my older dog for no apparent reason. It usually happens in the middle of the night.I know that she is not spayed and she is only social with my other 2 dogs. She does not go after the puppy. My what could be causing this? My husband wants to get rid of her because of the liability due to her being this way.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the puppy?

She is a 5 year pit lab mix and we have a 10 month old chiwinnie but she doesn;t go after him at all. Only the older lab who will be 13 next week

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

She tends to go after her ears mainly.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Which one

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Dog Trainer should know about the puppy?

Once she gets to know you she is fine. She is a barker but can be really sweet. She has not been properly trained in my eyes which is partly my fault.

3/29/2018
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. I'm Dr Mick. Thank you for reaching out for assistance. Aggression in dogs can be complicated, but it sounds like your 5 year old dog may be trying to be the top dog in your house. She likely does not feel threatened by the chi-winnie because he is small and still young. Some dogs will also become more aggressive and territorial when they go into heat. Spaying her might help with the aggression towards your older lab. Often times medication and training will also be needed. It may be a big commitment, but you might be able to turn the situation around. Until then it would be a good idea to use baby gates to keep the 2 dogs separated when you are not home or are sleeping.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you. That is what I keep telling my husband but he doesn't agree. He loves her but thinks she has become a liability. Could this be an imbalance her brain?

Yes. Dogs can have issues with anxiety, secondary to chemical imbalance, just like people. That is why medication can be very helpful!

I hope you are able to resolve this issue and keep her as part of your family. Please let me know if there's any other questions you have. If you are satisfied with my service, I would appreciate a 5 star rating. Good luck!

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I hope so too. She is laying down right now and seems calm. Thank you for your help.

You are welcome.

Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Mick
Dr Mick
Dr Mick, Dog Veterinarian