Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

107 lbs. German Shepherd munched 2 x dry Kentucky Coffee…

107 lbs. German Shepherd...

107 lbs. German Shepherd munched 2 x dry Kentucky Coffee tree pods about 3 hrs. ago. Pods probably at least 3 yrs. old, seeds rattled inside. I am worried sick!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the Shepherd?

Absolutely nothing right now. Sleeping. Normal behaviour.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Shepherd. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Shepherd?

No. He has just been walking around and going up & down stairs recently

3/29/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that you dog ate the Kentucky coffee tree pods. Even though the ingestion occurred 3 hours ago, there is still a chance that the pods are in his stomach and giving some hydrogen peroxide in some milk could make him vomit and get them out. I would put a few tablespoons of peroxide in milk, wake him up, and then give it to him to drink.

Hopefully he will vomit them up. If not, I would get him to the ER to be treated with some activated charcoal and IV fluids. You could also skip giving the peroxide and take him to the ER now, where they can give a medication to induce vomiting. They will still want to follow up with activated charcoal and IV fluid treatment. This kind of toxicity can cause GI signs such as vomiting and diarrhea, as well as lethargy and excess salivation. In more serious cases, some dogs can develop neurologic signs such as staggering and tremoring.

Are you saying that this is amount is toxic?

Hopefully he will vomit them up with the hydrogen peroxide. If he doesn't signs of toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and excess salivation. In serious cases, neurologic signs such as staggering can occur, as well as a slow heart rate. If he does not develop any gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting or diarrhea, he is very unlikely to develop neurological signs. If he does vomit them up with peroxide, I would then monitor for the signs I mentioned and take him in if he has them. If he does not vomit them up within 30 minutes of giving the peroxide, I would get him to the ER so they can induce vomiting with medication. To be on the safe side, they will also recommend treatment with activated charcoal and IV fluids.

Yes, even that amount can cause signs of toxicity.

Although he is a big dog, I wouldn't want to take the risk and would want the pods out of there as soon as possible.

He had cup of food about 8 hrs. ago. Will this come up now too with the pods? We have to get the Hydrogen peroxide. Will take at least another 15 minutes. Then how much milk with how much H.P.? How do we get it into him? How quickly will he vomit it up?

The food will likely not come up, it was digested long ago.

You can give a little more than the peroxide of the milk. If he's going to cough it up, it won't take more than 30 minutes. Since it has already been 3 hours, the 15 minutes to get the peroxide doesn't really matter.

Of course, you could skip the peroxide and get him to the ER and let them try to make him vomit.

Sorry I mean if he's going to vomit it up

okay. we are getting the H.P. Can we mix the HP with some of his canned salmon & kibble instead of milk? or in some diluted vegetable soup? Not sure how we will get him to drink if does not want the milk.

Yes, you can try putting it in whatever we will drink.

(or eat)

Okay. just lapped up some soup with about 4 tbsp of HP. He has missed his supper time. After he vomits, can he have his dinner or might he bring that up afterwards also?

I would wait at least an hour before feeding him his dinner after he vomits from the peroxide. You can give him a 40 mg Pepcid tablet also to help settle his stomach. But if he has any vomiting, diarrhea, depression or staggering, it's time to get him to the ER.

Thank you for last answer ON CELL ONLY.
It has been exactly 1/2 hr. - he has vomited the soup only. No traces of the pods. Guess it was too late. I will monitor him for any of the symptoms you suggested. Thank you for your help.

You're welcome. Hopefully he does not have any signs of toxicity. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating by clicking 5 stars at the top of your screen.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel