Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Something is wrong with my dogs back leg. She is limping.

Something is wrong with...

Something is wrong with my dogs back leg. She is limping . Doesn’t want to walk on it. .I have been unemployed for 4 months n

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

My Pitbull mix hurt her hind leg, I don’t believe it’s her hip, she gets responsive when I rub her ankle and thigh area. I have been unemployed for 4 months now and can’t afford a vet. Is there anything Thing or anywhere I can go to get help ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Lucky Vonk

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?

No, I don’t think so

3/28/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- How did she get hurt?

3- Any swelling?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Is she on any medications?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
1- just a couple hrs ago
2- I think jumping off the couch
3- I think so around her paw, ankle, thigh area
4- no
5- no

How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
She weighs 90 lbs

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I've already paid $27 , would this be another #28 charge?

Friend, in any case of a non-weight bearing lameness of the back leg we need to rule out a fracture, dislocated hip, or a soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury. If she hurt herself jumping off the coach it is very likely she may have a soft tissue injury; a very common injury is a ruptured cranial cruciate ligament (ACL in humans). If cost is a concern you can look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Rest her; no running or jumping for the next 4 weeks. Activity should be limited to urinate and defecate on a leash.

2- Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 tablets every 12 hours for 5-7 days.

3- Follow up with a veterinarian as soon as you can for an orthopedic examination and x-rays.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian