Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a red rasberry like circle on the bottom of her…

My dog has a...

My dog has a red rasberry like circle on the bottom of her mouth. The vet we go to has givien her 3 weeks of antibiotic and although it is smaller, it is still there

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Celebi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Celebi?

The vet suggested we change out any plastic bowls, which we did. We have 5 animals and cannot afford to bring one of them 3 times to the vet.

3/28/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this "circle" to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please...

How old is Celebi, please?

She is maybe 7?

Thank you and thank you for the excellent pics. If this arose quickly, it would appear to be a large histiocytoma - a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells. I apologize for the pedantry. It's common in dogs with highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously. A histiocytoma is reasonably easy to confirm by needle aspirating it and examining the aspirate microscopically. This can be done while you wait in the exam room.

Images of histiocytomas: https://www.google.com/search?q=google+images+histiocytoma+dog&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS720US720&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwibzpHHy__WAhWps1QKHSyVAhAQ7AkIMw&biw=1920&bih=949

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Please answer via text

Our messages may have crossed. Please see my post timestamped 28 Mar 2018, 3:45 PM (my time).

That answer was filled with very specific information. I thank you. It also sounds like I would need to see the vet again simply for a diagnosis, and I can't swing it. Especially if it may entail surgery. She has had it for quite a while now, but I have a cat who is older and rapidly losing weight, another older cat who recently had an infection that needed treating, and a few shots I need to catch up on. If she will be okay, that will have to be good enough.

Because histiocytomas most often crumble away on their own within a few months, you needn't do anything but monitor this at this time. There's a very good chance that Celebi can defer to your cats without harm. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Thanks a lot. I have some people issues I have to deal with as well and you have eased my mind for now.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.