Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 6 month old yellow lab went in the river for the first…

My 6 month old yellow...
My 6 month old yellow lab went in the river for the first time today. Our vet told us to pour alcohol in his ears, massage and wipe out after going in lakes and streams. We have witch hazel astringent. Can we use this in place of alcohol?
3/28/2018
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation. For the most part, getting the ears wet isn't something that sets up the vast majority of dogs for ear problems / infections. Honestly, what can be done easily is to use just a dry Kleenex or cotton ball and just wipe out the inner ear (don't insert further than where you can see) do help dry out the inner ear. The goal is to just dry out the ear so it doesn't stay moist. For the most part, those dogs that have persistent ear issues / infections, it is due to underlying allergies or the ear staying persistently moist / damp. I wouldn't use the alcohol in the ear or the witch hazel.

Thanks. Will just make sure they are dry and not go in any farther than I can see.

That in all honesty should be a huge step in preventing ongoing ear issues. Water is a fun activity and I highly encourage them being in it and playing / swimming as it is good exercise and physical stimulation. Is this guy going to be used for river related activities as he gets older? Hunting?

My boyfriend plans to have him heard trout to him ��. We like to hike and camp so he will be outside and water pretty often.

YES!!! I had to laugh at that. Your boyfriend and I are cut from the same mold. To kill some time while answering questions, I watch a lot of trout fishing videos on youtube. I have found one that I really like that posts out of New Zealand. I had the pleasure of taking my family to Rocky Mountain National Park last fall to go camping and fly fishing. It was awesome and I highly recommend it! I hope all goes well with this bundle of energy. Give him a little belly rub for me since I can't.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
That is great!! We will have to check it out. I will give Kip a belly rub. He is such a great dog. Thanks for your help.

Absolutely no problem. The one downside to camping in Rocky Mountain National Park is that I don't think you can have pets with you. It is a phenomenal place and I loved the fishing - as well as my 9 year old son. You have the chance to catch a greenback cutthroat there!!!

My boyfriend said wow! He belongs to Trout Unlimited in our area and is getting into more fishing. He went to an Orvis class in Evergreen Colorado and loved it.

I wish I lived near an Orvis store!!!!! They do such a good job with programs and education about fishing classes. If you learn correct techniques, it makes it so much more enjoyable. I'm not the best fly caster by any means, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying being in the outdoors. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can get out there! I hope you guys have a great spring / summer / fall of enjoying the outdoors!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?