Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a whole pack of Smores girl scout cookies, 16lb…

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a whole pack of Smores girl scout cookies, 16lb dog, happened 30 minutes ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Journey is 6 or 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Journey?

Yorkie Schnauzer Shih Tzu poodle mix

3/28/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Journey getting these cookies.

Chocolate can be toxic to dogs but it depends on what type of chocolate (milk chocolate is not as toxic as dark) and how much was eaten.

How much does Journey weigh, and how many ounces of cookies were eaten, and were they dark or milk chocolate? Sadly, the cookie companies do not help us by listing the actual amount of chocolate on the label or online.

I see she is 16 ponds. If this just happened, you can try to induce vomiting by putting 1 teaspoon 3% hydrogen peroxide in some milk or ice cream and getting her to drink it. If she got the cookies more than an hour or two ago, it may be too late to induce vomiting.

Journey is 16lbs, a Yorkie Schnauzer shitzu poodle mix 6 or 7 years old and all I can tell you is that there were 16 cookies and the package and I'm pretty sure I'm pretty sure it was dark chocolate
The package says serving size is two cookies and that is 37 grams servings per container is 8 I don't know how many ounces of chocolate that is it's just coated with it

I found online that the ingredients say "cocoa" and "chocolate" but not what kind.

Does it say how much weight was in the container, like 8 ounces of cookie?

If this just happened, I might try to induce vomiting. Cocoa powder is more toxic than milk or dark chocolate. It is listed as the 5th ingredient, so there is more flour, sugar, etc than chocolate in the cookies.

Yes we can't be sure how much chocolate. If a serving is 2 cookies, and there were 8, that is 4 servings. If a serving is 37g, then she got

She got 148 grams of flour, shortening, sugar, cocoa, chocolate, etc. We don't know how much of that was actual chocolate.

The package says it's 9.5 Oz. I have a syringe it's 10 small M Small l I can't remember how many milliliters to a teaspoon?

I would not give the peroxide by syringe. Put 15 ml/15cc/1 teaspoon of peroxide in some milk or ice cream and get her to drink it. It has to be 3% peroxide, and it has to be fresh and in date.

Sorry! 1 teaspoon is 5 ml, not 15!! Give 5 ml peroxide

That should induce vomiting in about 10 minutes; it works most of the time. If she ate the cookies less than an hour ago, you should see them in the vomit, or the vomit should be chocolate colored.

Yeah I thought 15 was too much I gave 5 and thankfully she's a garbage disposal she lapped that up like it was totally a treat and outside we go

Let me know what happens.

She's vomited six times large piles of chocolatey stuff thank you so much! She was supposed to eat dinner in about an hour should I hold off on food?

Yes, I wold not feed her for a few hours. Let her have water in an hour or so.

Glad that worked; good job!

You are welcome; please let me know if you have other questions.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.