Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a pitbull and he got this little lump in his penis…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a...

Hello, I have a pitbull and he got this little lump in his penis and it seems to be groing.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the Pitbull's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is about 13 years old (our time :))

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Rocky?

I had him since he was 1 month old and he has been with me for 13 yrs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocky?

No other than that little lump he is a very active and playful dog

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. Any dog can develop a growth like that, but it is more common in older dogs. A growth can be benign (non-cancerous) or malignant (cancer). There are many types of lumps that can develop, some that are benign and some that are malignant. Sometimes your vet can determine what kind of lump it is by doing a fine needle aspirate (FNA) to get some cell samples of the lump and taking a look at the sample under the microscope. This does not always tell you the type of tumor, however, because some tumors do not shed cells easily, so your vet might not see any cells at all. The way to know for sure what the lump is would be to have it removed under anesthesia and submitted for biopsy. The fact that Rocky is still active and playful is a good sign.