Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a parcel tide pod. Selena and she is 2

Customer Question
Second opinion] my dog...

Second opinion] my dog ate a parcel tide pod

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Selena and she is 2

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I reviewed your conversation with my excellent colleague Dr. Peter and found his advice to be excellent. To answer you directly, while signs of intoxication from detergents are generally mild, the exeptions include single-use laundry detergent pods (LDPs). Clinical signs of intoxication from these may include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and more serious but uncommon complications include central nervous system depression, renal insufficiency, oral or esophageal burns, gastrointestinal bleeding, convulsions, and coma. This is because the LDPs are both highly concentrated and packaged under pressure and so biting and rupturing the pods leads to rapid expulsion and aspiration and/or swallowing of the product. Thus, these dogs need to carefully evaluated and assessed for potential corrosive and systemic intoxication as would evidenced by the more serious complications posted above. The signs of those complications would arise quickly. May I have an update on Selena, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?