Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a parcel tide pod. Selena and she is 2

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a parcel tide pod

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Selena and she is 2

3/28/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

thank you!

1- How long has it been since she ate it?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any symptoms?

about 1/2 hour ago
70lbs
she immediately vomited 2 times dry heaves but seems fine now

1- Did you see the pod in the vomit?

the vomit wasn't foamy or didn't contain food

The pod is made of plastic, correct?

no i found the pod and some of the contents on the floor she didnt swallow it just some of the detergent

Great, please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

i dont know what they are made of
hello?

Friend, if she did not swallow the pod it is not going an issue. The other concern is that the detergent can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract. Do not try to induce vomiting especially if she has already vomited. Instead, give her some milk diluted with water to dilute any detergent that may be in her stomach to protect her gastrointestinal tract. Then observe her, if she continues to vomit this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg tablet every 12 hours for 5-7 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian