Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Yorkie Poo, who is 6 years old, yesterday had strange…

Customer Question
My Yorkie Poo, who...

My Yorkie Poo, who is 6 years old, yesterday had strange behavior. when I touch his back, near his tail on his left side he whimpers. He isn't as active as normal and will not jump up on the sofa with me as he normally does. I took him for a walk and he did keep up with me last night. He will eat and drink and is still urinating and having bm's.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lambeau?

His behavior is not normal and like I said, it hurts him if I touch his back, near his tail (top of his hind left leg)

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Lambeau seems to be in pain. He may have injured his back due to an accident, such as falling off the couch, and now has a muscle pull. Another possibility is that he's got a slipped disc due to injury. I would get him to your vet for an exam and some pain medication. Depending on the exam findings, your vet may recommend an x-ray of the area if they suspect injury to that part of the back bone. If your vet suspects a muscle pull, they might send you home with a muscle relaxer for him, as well. Whenever there is an injury like this, it is best to minimize activity for a few days until he has recovered.