Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 14 year old miniature dachshund got into some easter

Customer Question
My 14 year old...

My 14 year old miniature dachshund got into some easter candy this morning and I had to induce vomit with peroxide. She is now experience some weakness in her hind legs. She can walk it is just take her longer to get going. She has had water since then and some plain scrambled eggs. Should I be looking for anything specific? I am concerned about her back legs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She has been on homemade food for the last three month very limited grains and carbs due to extensive allergies and yeast infections.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear that your senior friend is having this issue. This doesn't sound like a relation to the chocolate ingestion but potentially retching/ vomiting has caused a strain in her back? Being a Dachshund this would be my primary concern.

If this continues it would be ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate her to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort and weakness and prevent progression. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back/ shoulders/ neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort because they too will cry out if picked up a certain way due to back pain.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening I wanted to check in on your senior friend to see how she is feeling after your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman