Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was put in his crate yesterday and he ripped his

Hi, my dog was...

Hi, my dog was put in his crate yesterday and he ripped his bedding and pulled out the foam. Most of it was shredded in the floor, but I'm not sure if he ate some. This morning, he was lathargic and he refuses to move off of the tile floor in my bathroom. He has been hacking and trying to throw up, but only gastic juices are coming up. I'm trying to see if there is something that I can do to help him without taking them to my vet since they called and told me it would be about $600.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

He is a Pyrenees/Lab mix and weighs about 65 lbs.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Not to worry I can help you

No diarrhea or blood in vomit?

How old is he?

Paul

He is a year old and he hasn't actually thrown up anything but gastric juices. His nose does feel warm and he doesn't seem to want to drink water at the moment.

Okay lets give him Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg (give 1/2 of a 75.0 mg Zantac) three times a dsy

That will settle the stomach and also move along the stomach contents

Then we should add 2-3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin to each meal for the next few days

That will push any ingested bedding through and out

You should plan tp update me tonight

Okay?

Paul

Alright, I will do that. Thank you.

Good stuff

I will look for your update tonight

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Hey, so I was able to get him to take some of the Zantac and pumpkin, but he feels warmer than usual and he is still not drinking any water. Do you think we need to take his temperature?

Sure

Have you taken temp before of dog?

Paul

Not personally, but I’ve seen it done on him at our vet’s office.

Okay

Let me know when you have done that

Paul

His temperature reads 101.1.

That is within the normal range

So we dont have to worry about fever here

Okay, I’ll just keep an eye on him and update you later if you think we still need to

Yes, plan to update me

Paul

Hi, he seems to be doing better. He still doesn’t want to drink anything but he went to the bathroom and he is up moving around more.

Thanks for the update!

Paul

Hey, just wanted to give another update. He seems to be much better. He is getting around much better and is eating and drinking again. He still coughs a little, but it is much better. Thanks again.