Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Slow to wanting to eat. Not like her at all. Golden Ret.

Customer Question
Slow to wanting to...

Slow to wanting to eat. Not like her at all. Golden Ret. near 13 years old. Recently had invention around her eyes and took medicine for it. Got better but yes look so dark.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Golden?

That's what I'm writing for. Why is she starting to be. Fussy about eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the Golden seem to hurt?

So area that we know of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

Just area above her eyes where she was loosing her hair and itching, or the medicine might have made her itch. She tookcefpodooxime 20 mg and vetropolycin was put on the area at least twice a day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Golden's name and age?

Amber and she )Weill be 13 the end of June.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Amber?

13 this coming June

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Amber?

Can't think of any thing else.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

I am so sorry to hear your dog is having such difficulties recently with appetite. I am always concerned when I have a senior pet like Amber that has a reduced appetite

- Begin pepcid 0.25 mg / pound every 12 hours to help settle the stomach 15 minutes prior to offering small more frequent meals
- Foods to try: boiled lean meat such as bison and white rice. Bison has a more "gamey" odor and dogs tend to be more interested when this is offered. Other options include jarred baby foods meat varieties (try several types to see if there is one preferred, often it is pork for some reason that dogs are interested in), rotisserie chicken, even canned kitten foods have a strong odor and can increase interest in food

- Try to avoid the more acidic foods if possible

- Simethicone (gas x) once to twice daily to reduce gas production and cramping if you note any issues with this
- Leash walks if she is up for it of 15+ minutes two to three times daily which encourages gi motility and can help stimulate appetite while reducing nausea, often the cause of reduced appetite

Hopefully this will give you some ideas of things to try today and increase the appetite. I would advise discussing with your vet possible causes of the reduced appetite, potentially evaluate bloodwork and x-rays and your vet will likely dispense an anti nausea medication +/- an appetite stimulant to increase interest in eating again if possible

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I truly hope your dog starts eating for you soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Amber to see if you were able to stimulate her appetite? I would love an update when you are able

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman