Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has kidney disease. She is latterly starving to death…

My dog has...

My dog has kidney disease. She is latterly starving to death as she won't eat. sometimes she will eat a small piece of food but vomits it later. Is this part of the disease and is it fair of me to let her starve she still seems to have life but is getting weaker. I only want what is best for her and I am so confused.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No she has kidney disease. I can clean up a mess Just help me with my dog. This has been going on for 2 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Micro she is a pappilon

3/28/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Micro . I'm sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. I want to let you know that helping people make it through all the difficult decisions and feelings that come with their pet's end of life is something I'm passionate about and dedicated to.

The website works like this:

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, I want to start with a very important statement. Absolutely EVERY time I initially give a pet owner a diagnosis of kidney failure, we end up having a lengthy discussion about what to expect, and I advise them that they will eventually need to prepare for a decision on when to euthanize their beloved pet. As kidney failure progresses, the pet will become too sick for the owner to be able to tolerate. As much as it hurts to acknowledge it, a death from kidney failure is slow with a lot of suffering. Therefore, the most unselfish, loving, and compassionate gift you can give your pet is one of euthanasia.

I hear what you're saying... it's not a matter of being willing or unwilling to provide the necessary nursing care or clean up messes. It's about what's best for your dog.

My heart goes out to you.

(typing more)

what are you really saying. I have gone back and forth on this matter. I love this dog to death I only want what is best for her.At times she shows happiness and jumps on to the couch. Her tail wags and her eyes still twinkle.

I'm so glad to hear she still wags her tail and her eyes still twinkle. These are the good things in life that she's still here to enjoy.

There are a lot of other things to look at, too, so you can really evaluate her QUALITY OF LIFE and decide when it's time to put her humanely to sleep.

I'll explain more below...

First and foremost, this a personal decision. Deeply personal. No one else can tell you the right thing to do. That's up to you.

Secondly, it's important to acknowledge that Micro has no expectations for a long life. That's a uniquely human burden. She didn't start out her life wanting to live as long as she possibly can. Instead, she's woken up every morning, simply wanting to do the best she can with what she's got.

(typing more...)

Thank you waiting for your reply. Also please knoe at time she trembles
how worse will it get

With that in mind, the things that matter the most to her each day include:

• eating and drinking
  • taking simple exercise
  • getting out to go to the bathroom
  • keeping herself clean
  • being free from nausea and pain
  • participating in social rituals and routines with her "pack" of people

Those are the things that matter the most to her. Each of those things that she is unable to do diminishes her quality of life.

There are actually some online tools that can help you with this difficult decision for when to put her to sleep.

I'll get the links...

As her kidney disease progresses, she will vomit more, be too painful (upset stomach) to eat, become dehydrated, have no energy to move, will be unable to keep herself clean, and will eventually pass from dehydration.

The course is unbearably long...

she still goes out side she does drink is she in pain

And this is a great online tool that you can use

https://journeyspet.com/pet-quality-of-life-scale-calculator/

I'm relieved to hear she still goes outside and drinks. Those are good signs. It's important to ask yourself, however, if you're okay with waiting until she no longer does those things.

Is she in pain? Yes. It is pain and nausea that keeps her from eating.

I will read that article. Thank you fro answering my questions. Her time is near
good bye

Yes, it is near. Even though my heart breaks for you, I'm grateful you have her best interests in mind.

While we know she would walk through fire for you, it's important to decide just how much of this you're going to ask her to do.

I'll add that over more than two decades of watching people go through this difficult time with their pets, and come out the other side, I've learned one thing: it's far better to put a beloved pet to sleep a day too soon than an hour too late. That hour too late is unbearable.

Peace, my friend.

This is a difficult part of the journey, but it's important to do it well.

I'm happy to help if you have additional questions.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today.

Thank you.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Jo