Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Her appetite has dwindles the past couple of weeks. She used…

Her appetite has dwindles...

Her appetite has dwindles the past couple of weeks. She used to be the first dog to finish her bowl but seems disinterested at normal feeding times. Has thrown up a couple of times in that period. Once when she did not eat it was yellow bile and a bit of white foam. This morning she threw up 1/2 hour after eating. Energy level is down

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Betsy 12 years

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Any weight loss?

Change in drinking habits?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
No apparent wait loss. Drinking regularly

Okay

My concern is that she is 12 years old. If she was 1 or 2 I would not be this worried

This is one instance where I have to recommend that we have her examined and her blood and urine tested

They may also want to x-ray or ultrasound her abdomen

I am worried about pancreatitis, metabolic disease( kidney, liver, electrolytes), kidney infection etc etc

Are you able to take Betsy in to be examined?

Paul

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
OK, I best take her in and will do so
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you

Good call

Very welcome

Please update me after the visit and with the results

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for you :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Will do. We will be seeing the vet in an hour

Excellent

Good luck!

Paul

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Blood test and urine test performed. Her albumin was about 15% low and thyroid output is slightly low. Vet said no obvious red flags. Recommending ultrasound but I am balking at cost and thinking it over. Even if something shows up there surgery will be costly and may not be worth it with her age

Glad blood work is good

Do the scan if you can afford it

Lots of problems can be fixed without surgery :)

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian