Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

4 LB DOG ATE CHOCOLATE CANDY 4 PIECES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE…

Customer Question
4 LB DOG ATE...

4 LB DOG ATE CHOCOLATE CANDY 4 PIECES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. SEEMS OKAY WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

LACEY 3 YEARS OLD

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is LACEY?

3 YEARS OLD

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about LACEY?

SHE IS ACTING NORMAL

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 28 days ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear this happened to Lacey.

About how long ago did Lacey eat the chocolate?

Was this dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate?

Did she vomit at all since eating the chocolate or is she doing anything else that seems odd or abnormal?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
4 hr's ago dark Chocolare

I see. Given the size of Lacey, that could be a toxic dose depending on the size of those pieces.

Typically with that amount, we would see side effects by now.

Does she seem to be restless, pacing, panting excessively, or with an elevated heart rate? You can check the heart rate by counting the number of beats on the chest for 15 seconds, then multiplying by 4.

If Lacey is still acting normal otherwise, I would just monitor at home. The only thing that could be done at this point would be to hospitalize her an monitor her for tremoring or seizures. Oftentimes that has happened this far out after eating the chocolate. Also monitor for any vomiting or diarrhea, which should go away within 24 hours. I suspect she will be just fine since she has no problems so far. Again, the biggest thing to keep an eye out for would be any seizures or tremoring. The tremors will be very obvious and exaggerated. If that happens, take her to the vet. In the future, the ideal thing is to induce vomiting within about 2 hours of ingesting the chocolate. This obviously cannot always happen if chocolate is eaten overnight (especially if you are asleep when this happens). However, given the amount eaten, her size, and lack of clinical signs, it is likely she will be just fine.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 3 days ago

I just wanted to check in. I never heard back from you. How is Lacey doing? Is there anything else I can help you with? Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish you and your pet the best. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian