Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 17 year old cocker poodle, Frisky, has had 2 seizures in…

Customer Question
Our 17 year old...

Our 17 year old cocker poodle, Frisky, has had 2 seizures in the past 4 hrs. The second time he also lost control of his stools and they were bloody. This is the 4th such episode in the past 3 years and by far the worse.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the poodle's name?

Frisky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Frisky?

We have been given diazepam and trazodone in the past and I need to know if these can be given together. I’ve already given him the diazepam but he will not stop pacing which is always a pre-cursor to having a seizure.

Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I expected a more prompt answer. Can this be expedited?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 28 days ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Is Frisky on any regular medications to prevent these episodes? Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Thank you for responding. However, I went ahead and canceled my trial membership to this service and took Frisky to his regular Vet first thing this morning. They advised me to ahead and give him the Tramadol, and came up with a plan for the future. He has been sleeping peacefully for the most part for the past 4.5 hours.
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Excuse me!!! I meant to say TRAZODONE
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian