Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's vomiting and has diarrhoea. Not that I know of. Eddard,

He's vomiting and has...

He's vomiting and has diarrhoea.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Eddard, 8 and a half months.

3/28/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your pet. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with GI upset. Common causes are ingestion of a foreign body, ulcers, infections, or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. Unfortunately, we are very limited as to what you can do at home to pinpoint the exact underlying cause. I would recommend a hands-on examination with your family veterinarian and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would also mix in 1 capsule of Metamucil to the food every 12 hours to help with the stool. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't appetizing. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

I gave him the boiled rice with chicken as well, but he threw that up. The medications are a great suggestion - thank you. I was going to wait until tomorrow afternoon, maybe even the day after to see if he gets any better by himself, but I also am not planning to wait too long as I am worried about my little guy and want him to get better.

Yes, I think that sounds like a good plan. I would take him in if the medication suggestions do not make him better.

My final question is - I do not currently have those medications in my house and it's late at night, I'm sure it's okay to wait until morning, but I just want to make sure... it's okay to wait, right? I mean, I'm sure he's not going to die overnight or anything, but he's a bit weak and clearly dehydrated since he hasn't had a drink in 6 hours (or, when he did, he puked the water back up).

I would watch him closely tonight, and if he gets worse, I would take him to the emergency vet instead of trying the at home remedies, and if he is doing about the same, you can start him on everything in the morning.

Okay, awesome... You definitely helped me out a bunch, calmed me down a bit...... and even though I said that my previous question was going to be the last, I have also remembered looking at his gums and them having brown-ish discolouration. I am of course going to get him checked out in general soon, but is that something I should worry about or is that normal? That's my last question, promise :)

His gums should be pink, brown is definitely not a good color. Could be a lot of things. I would mention that to the vet if it comes to that.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Okay, great. Thank you again. Going to give you all them stars :) Have a great day and I'm going to get some rest and look after my pup.