Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My two very small chihuahuas ate a small grape tomato and…

My two very small...

My two very small chihuahuas ate a small grape tomato and are sick to their stomachs. They do try to drink water but throw that up. It’s pure mucus. They seemed to vomit right away... do you think they will be okay?? I’m panicked! Thanks in advance ~cj

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Rizzo and Aspen they are sisters. 4 years of age.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rizzo?

Otherwise healthy.

3/28/2018
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I am sorry you are going through this with your dogs. I can make a few recommendations of things you can try at home to help with their vomiting. If these don't work, I would strongly urge you to take your pet to the vet for an xray.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help with GI upset. You can also syringe feed some Pedialyte to help with hydration. You can also give some canned food or chicken baby food to help with appetite if the chicken and rice isn't doing the job. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Any suggestions on getting the Pepcid in them? They seem to still want water but it come back up in thick mucus form. Think; the stomach flu type of frequency.?

You can dissolve the Pepcid in some chicken broth and give it to them via syringe to make it easier, or you can hide it in food or peanut butter. It might be the stomach flu, I can't really say for sure without seeing them in person. If they're not getting better with my suggestions, I would take them in to the vet for a check up.

Thank you so very much, I appreciate your time and help!!

You're welcome, let me know if you have any other questions.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Schmidt