Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has lumps on her back with dry patches of skin and…

Customer Question
My dog has lumps...

My dog has lumps on her back with dry patches of skin and dandruff

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is your dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sadie?

She has food allergies to wheat sand she did get into my garbage

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​

she still not her self laying around

Which came first, the lumps and dry patches or her laying around?

Is she eating and drinking well?

Any vomiting or diarrhea?

When did she get into the garbage?

Is she on any medications?

Will you please attach pictures of what you’re seeing with the bumps? There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like http://www.imgur.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them. If you are located in the USA and texting pictures/video would be preferable, please let me know. There is an additional charge for this service but it can take the guesswork out of trying to get information back to me and facilitate a faster response.

dry skin and lumps came firsg no medications eating and drinking normally no diarrhea

Any vomiting?

When did she get into the garbage?​

How long have the lumps been present?

no vomiting and it was two days ago she got in garbage yesterday was when raised bumps appeared

It's difficult to see the bumps through the black on her coat. Do they look like this? https://philosophyoffur.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_0291.jpg

exactly like that

It's very likely that her getting into the trash may well have caused an allergic reaction. You can administer 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours to help with the bumps. If they persist or she worsens, she needs to see a vet to add in a course of steroids, as well. This may be why she's been laying around and not feeling herself. If the dandruff does not resolve with the benadryl, I would talk to your vet about adding an oil into her diet to help condition her coat. Something like salmon oil may be greatly beneficial to her skin. It may take 3-5 days for the bumps to fully resolve with the benadryl but you should see her feeling better very soon if her feeling unwell is due to allergic response from eating trash. If you begin to see any vomiting or diarrhea, let me know on this thread (there won't be any additional charge) and I'll help you further.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top-notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Sadie doing today? Have the bumps improved since starting the Benadryl?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy