Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 yo mini dachshund quit being her bouncy self in the…

Customer Question
My 9 yo mini...

My 9 yo mini dachshund quit being her bouncy self in the past few days. She’s eating and eliminating normally but has quit barking at birds and things outside. We go out and she just stands there trembling, I have to drag her to the grass. Then drag her back in. She always brings a toy over for play after eating, but has quit that. I’ve applied a little pressure all over her back and limbs, no reactions. No limping or stumbling. No licking, biting herself or whimpering. Just a lack of energy and engagement.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No, but I’ve felt her feet. No flinching or limping.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name and age?

Sophie is 9

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sophie?

Occasionally when she’s just standing, she’ll start to back up for no reason. Almost as if she’s afraid, but for no apparent reason.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Sophie is not overweight. Her appetite is normal.
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any other symptoms besides lethargy and trembling?

I know Dachshunds aren't supposed to Jump a lot, but she always has, onto the bed and couch. She has jumped up a few times the last 4 or 5 days but she usually stands there wimpering til I pick her up to lay next to me. I thought it might be her back, but she doesn't seem to favor it or walk funny, just slow, or yelp when I squeeze or massage her.

Friend, you are right to suspect that she could be having back problems. When she stands unwilling to jump and trembling it is a sign of pain. Could there be other causes? Yes, but, her history is very consistent with neuromuscular pain. Unfortunately, on history only I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. Sophie will need to be seen by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination, x-rays and blood work as an initial screening test. If the vet rules in back pain they will start her on prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medication. In the meantime, do not give over the counter pain medication most are toxic to dogs. Limit her activity to urinate and defecate on a leash for the next couple of weeks; no running or jumping.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter