Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is bleeding from her rectum a lot no vet available at…

Customer Question
My dog is bleeding...

My dog is bleeding from her rectum a lot no vet available at this time what thing could be causing this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She Weighs 9 Lbs.mix 6years old and the bleeding began about 4 hours ago it looks like rasberries in color and has a bad odor or jelly in color and there is a lot of it like maybe 2 tablespoonful each time

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

Hi, Dr. W here. I'm sorry to hear this. When dogs have this raspberry jam from their rectum it is usually what we call HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis). This type of bloody diarrhea can be caused from several reasons like eating a food that is different from what they are used to (pepperoni pizza seems to be the usual culprit), drinking out of a puddle and picking up a bacteria or parasite that way, chewing up something she shouldn't have, or even just stress and change of daily routine (particularly in small breed dogs)...(continued)

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

If she seems lethargic, her gums are not nice and pink colored (when you press on her gums and let go they should return to a nice pink color in less than 2 seconds), has a heart rate greater than 140 beats per minute, or if the bloody diarrhea persists longer than 12 hours, she should be seen by her vet for fluids and electrolytes and medications to stop the diarrhea. In the mean time you can help by offering Pedialyte for hydration and electrolyte balance and some canned pumpkin to help settle her stomach. You can also give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach. I would feed boiled chicken and white rice for the next 24 hours. It is a bland diet that can help while the stomach is getting back to normal.

It is late at night and most of what you suggested can't be obtained till morning but I do have pumpkin hope she will try it how much blood can she afford to lose without bleeding to death ?
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

With the raspberry jam it's typically not actually much blood in it. It's looks much bloodier than it actually is. For example if you put a few drops of blood in a toilet bowl, it looks like you massacred someone! The bigger concern is actually losing too much fluid and getting dehydrated, so if the episodes are not settling down by morning she needs to go in. The best way to tell if it is dangerous or not is by her gum color and heart rate.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

BUT, to answer your question scientifically, 40 mL/lb of blood can be safely lost for dogs, so that's 360 mL for 9 lbs (IF it were straight blood).

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great