Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He just ate 10 oz of foil covered reese's cups out of a

He just ate 10...

He just ate 10 oz of foil covered reese's cups out of a plastic bag that my kids left out. I'm going to call my vet first thing in the morning but I'm searching on the internet to see if I need to take him into the ER vet tonight. He is a boxer and weighs appx 90 lbs.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maddox, 2 years.

3/28/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Was this dark or milk chocolate?

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

1. milk chocolate.
2. I think so. I will look.
I have it.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Great. Thank you.

Friend, chocolate toxicity in dogs is dependent on the amount consumed, type of chocolate and weight of the dog. In this case, not likely for 10 oz of milk chocolate to be toxic or life-threatening to a 90 lbs dog; he may get diarrhea or vomit. As far as the wrapping paper, very likely he will be able to pass in the stool. However, if you want to play it safe you can try to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- To make him vomit give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) not likely to develop any symptoms.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter...thank you very much for your clear information. I appreciate it very much. Thank you Rating 5/5 now!!

You're welcome. :)

Thank you for the excellent rating. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter