Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 16 month Shiba Inu. Just yesterday he started

Hello,I have a 16 month...
Hello,I have a 16 month Shiba Inu. Just yesterday he started shaking randomly every 30 seconds to a minute and now he is panting and seems very nervous and clingy. It got a bit better last night and now again today he has been experiencing the same thing. He isn't very clingy but he wants to sit in my lap and just shakes and pants. He hasnt thrown up or anything.. should i be concerned?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is he shaking like if he was cold?

2- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Yeah i would say that, he's shaking every like 30 seconds to a minute. Today would be the second day it has continued.other then the panting/clinginess he hasn't had any other symptoms

Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
No i do not have a Thermometer, im currently uploading a video link so you can see how he is acting.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
https://vimeo.com/262130856

Thank you for the video.

Is there anything different at home that could be stressful for him?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The only thing that changed in the last few days was his dog food. Could that be the issue?

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Sounds good, thank you.

Friend, when a dog is panting and shivering, in general, this could be a sign of pain, a fever, stress (firework, thunders, etc.), etc. to name a few causes. Can it be the new food? Yes, but, I am not 100% convinced as he is not showing any other symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia, etc. So, without a hands-on examination and some testing, I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause, I am sorry. I would have Charlie checked by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination. Treatment will be based on examination findings. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian