Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 2 week old queensland puppy that has a swollen face…

Customer Question
Hello, I have a 2 week...
I have a 2 week old queensland puppy that has a swollen face around the jaw and throat area. No sores or abscess at this time. Noticed 24 hours ago and applied hot compresses to the area. It temporarily softens the area. She is still nursing but has slowed down. Her eyes are not yet open. Should I dose with an antibiotic to see if it will relieve the swelling? If so which one and at what dosage. I am semi-familar with puppy strangles and know that antibiotics wont work but I would like to treat for staph before moving on to prednisone. Please help.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/28/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago
Heath Wilkerson

The usual antibiotic used in puppy strangles would be Amoxicilin or Cephalexin 22 mg/kg every 12 hours for at least 7 days (or as long as the Prednisone is being used). Depending on where you live you may have to get this from your veterinarian.

Dog Veterinarian: Heath Wilkerson,
 replied 3 months ago

I hope this helps! It’s my pleasure to help you and your pet! Please remember to “ACCEPT AN ANSWER” in the top right hand corner of your screen, AND RATE OUR CONVERSATION 5-STARS (so I will receive credit for helping you). Bonuses are always welcome. (I am not compensated in any other way). If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! I’ll be online for another hour or so. Thanks and have a great night! (or day depending on what time zone you are in :)