Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

Our dog was diagnosed" suspicious for epithelial cell

Our dog was diagnosed" suspicious for epithelial cell neoplasm. Is that a type of mammary cancer? what is the best treatment? what is the prognosis?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Skye is a rescue. We have had her two years. One Vet guesses she is at least 8-9 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?
Customer: Skye has a cough that my husband describes as "a cat coughing up a hairball".

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long ago was she diagnosed? How was she diagnosed? Was it through an aspirate of a mass?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She was diagnosed 2 yrs ago ust before we adopted her... but we just found out a couple of days ago. Yes, mammary gland aspirate... seven slides. "Second caudal right mammary gland multiple nodular masses."

Okay thanks for the additional information. Does she still have masses on her mammary gland currently? Has she had surgery to remove the masses? Epithelial cell neoplasm can occur anywhere on the skin but when it occurs on the mammary gland it is considered mammary gland tumor. Usually if there is a suspicion for cancer associated with the mammary gland the best treatment is to have surgery to remove as much of the mammary gland as possible. The prognosis depends on if the mass can be removed completely, the stage of the cancer and how long it has been there for. A biopsy can usually give a good idea of these things. Also you would want to see if the cancer has spread anywhere so I usually recommend chest xrays to determine if the mass is located anywhere else in the body.

Are you still there?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Another part of the report states "mixed cell inflammation with associated necrosis and chronic hemorrhage." Skye is showing no signs of pain or illness. She runs, "wrestles" and jumps around with her sister (who is bigger than is she), goes on daily walks with my husband, eats breakfast and dinner. The cough has bothered us as it occurs several times a day. We are concerned that it might affect her if surgery is determined for removal of tumor?

Mixed cell inflammation is typical with tumors that affect the mammary glands. Alot of times these tumors affect the normal cells and and cause inflammation and hemorrhage. . As far as the cough is concerned, has she ever been tested for heart worm? I would recommend a chest x-ray to make sure nothing serious is going on before considering surgery

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you.

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne