Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is a 4 pound 7 year old Maltese. About 4 months ago I…

My dog is a 4...
My dog is a 4 pound 7 year old Maltese. About 4 months ago I spoke to my veterinarian about my dog suffering from frequent bouts of upset stomach and diarrhea. Blood work was ran and everything checked out okay. The vet recommended that I use Royal Caniin gastrointestinal formula to help with the tummy troubles. (She was previously on Purina Pro Plan Small Breed). She recently has decided that she doesn’t want to eat the food and eats very minimum amounts daily. This in turn has dropped her blood sugar enough to cause hypoglycemic seizures (first time this has occurred.) I was instructed to give her nutri cal gel if I know she hasn’t eat enough food. I am not satisfied with this answer. I want a second opinion on this matter.
Would it be worth a try to slowly change her food again and see if she does better on another food? I was wanting to try her on Science Diet Toy Breed formula. Would you suggest this or do you think it would be a bad idea? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
3/28/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

so there are several different intestinal diets that could be tried.....the royal canin diet is a good diet though...... are you feeding your dog the canned version also?

There is also a Hills prescription diet called Intestinal Diet or ID...it is also great for tummy problems and most dogs really love it especially the canned version...

And Purina also has one called EN...but all of these are prescription.....the only one not prescription that you could try would be science diet sensitive stomach......but my favorite is Hills ID......

Let me know if you need anything else...DRB

I would very much appreciate it if you would rate me 5 stars for my very prompt and attentive service. And do let me know if you need any additional help! You can rate me in the top right corner of the page. Thank you very much! DRB

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B